Thread: Dumb question?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
kingsway
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
Kingsway,

The coast down test I would think is more due to momentum and vehicular weight than aero drag but an easy way to test is another test from say 70 to 50 and see if the trend follows or deviates from that you have already found.

Just an aside...some makers here (Australia) use "vanes" (curved metal plates attached to the wagon at the rear corners and roof) to alter airflow.
The idea is to keep the rear window clear of dust in the country but there is no reason why you cold not adapt the same mechanics to alter the aero of your VW.

Peter.
Ah, okay I will try it at from different speeds and see if that makes a difference.

Re the curved deflectors for dust control - I know exactly what you mean!

I've lived and worked in Central Africa, where most of the roads were un-tarred and most of the then very popular Peugeot 404 station wagons had them to help with the dust problem. I also have a gut feeling that such a thing ought to be possible for reducing that vacuum at the back of the car - but without a wind tunnel, or some fancy simulation software, I'm guessing it would be almost impossible to get it to work effectively.

Thanks for your replies!