View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
musasabi
EcoModding Lurker

Passat - '03 Volkswagen Passat GLS
90 day: 26.84 mpg (US)

CBR250R - '12 Honda CBR250R Red
90 day: 70.92 mpg (US)

Jetta - '13 Volkswagen Jetta TDI SEL
90 day: 43.2 mpg (US)
2003 VW Passat GLS (1.8T 5-sp manual)

Hello everyone. =) This is my first post; I'm posting here because I've actually got a specific question in addition to my general introduction. Hope that's alright, mods.

In any case, I drive an '03 Passat 1.8T. It's a 20v engine running a K03 turbo at 15psi. It's running around twice the stock boost due to the ECM flash I've got. All told, my engine made ~150bhp stock, and is now making ~205bhp (or so APR claims).

My EPA estimates are 18/28, and I regularly exceed just by short shifting, staying off the throttle, engine braking, and avoiding full stops. And, despite what one might think, I very rarely get honked at by my fellow Chicagoans for getting off the line so slowly.

In any case, my specific question is this: A friend of mine has been utilizing this forum and getting great mileage in his Civic (of course). He stated the most efficient point of power deliever for "most" engines is 80% throttle at 2200rpm. But... What about a turbo charged engine? Particularly one running 15psi (with the fuel map to match, obviously)? Conventional wisdom tells me that if I hear the turbo spooling, I've given it too much gas to remain efficient. And, at 80% throttle, it'll spool every time by 2200rpm. Not to full boost, obviously, but the K03 is a little turbo, so it doesn't take much. So, is the efficiency point for a turbo gas engine different than an N/A engine?

Plus, if anyone has any advice from their experience with hypermiling a turbocharged car, please feel free to share. =)

Thanks in advance, everyone.