View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
thanks for the responses! i think a "contact controller" is what the "GEM" electric carts we have at work use. they have a "low" and "high" switch. when you press on the accelerator, there is a very loud click, and it takes off to top speed fairly rapidly.

in my truck, when starting from a stop and rolling downhill, the transmission shifts into second at around 20-25 mph. so i figured having an electric motor take the load off the engine during 1st gear driving would help out at least somewhat.

of course, this is not going to be the first thing i do. right now i am working on replacing the egr valve, the o2 sensors, and getting the transmission serviced. i predict a noticable jump in MPG after this. i'm also trying to figure out if i can replace the 4 catalytic converters with one "universal" cat without throwing codes.

meemooer, i used to have a 98 ranger with the same tire/lift setup as you, except 3.0/stick shift. the AVM manual hub conversions came out after i traded it off. too bad, the hub design was one of the reasons i got rid of it.