View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
musasabi
EcoModding Lurker

Passat - '03 Volkswagen Passat GLS
90 day: 26.84 mpg (US)

CBR250R - '12 Honda CBR250R Red
90 day: 70.92 mpg (US)

Jetta - '13 Volkswagen Jetta TDI SEL
90 day: 43.2 mpg (US)
Ah, you bring up a good point. But there are some details that differ from your post. =)

First, my engine has an AWT head. The VAGCOM still reads it as AWM software, but either way, my engine is weird. Given that it could actually be either (AEB/AWM) since the AWT was never used in the US, but it's in the AEB family, I just assume the lower power rating to avoid bragging.

Either way, though, the AEB's only run .6 bar and the AWM's only run .8 bar, on stock longitudinal Passats. APR's ECU has me at 1 bar, though, yes.

Also, the timing belt has been changed at 70k and 140k, and I'm presently at 145. =) No worries there. Plus, if it is and AWM, they updated the timing belt so breakage was far less likely, as well as improved the water pump so it didn't destroy the impeller. Even still, I keep a regular eye on my timing belt.

Oil is always fully synthetic, but I hadn't done the research to see which manufacturers had VW approved oil. Thank you.

I like my car because it allows me decent fuel economy while also being fun. That said, I generally go WOT about once per tank, given the right circumstances. So, lower octane fuel would be dangerous. =)

I will do research on the oil, though, as I'm ~500 miles away from my next change.

But I'm still curious about the driving mechanics, haha. Does spooling the turbo ruin fuel economy for pulse and glide and short shifting? Etc?