View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #284 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who view these 'aero' templates to be very narrow in their scope. The almost '2D' shapes are almost always tested and highly scrutinized with just straight head winds. Pragmatic 'optimal' forms will surely change when these shapes are evaluated with off-center cross winds. The relatively high & flat sides of some of these shapes will go through erratic yaw movements and have straight line instability. Wind tunnel researchers/junkies & especially HPV designers are always mindful of constantly changing cross winds' effect on their designs. I'd like to see wind tunnel smoke trails, tuft testing or CFD flow visualization art created by off-center sidewinds.
I doubt that there's any risk that we'll see any pumpkin seed cars on the road.They are the ideal,but billions will find fault with them.There are too many reasons not to consider ideal automotive forms for daily transportation.
Anyone who might be interested in exploring truly low drag may find few alternatives.
For a door-slammer which you can get into and drive away,see to park,and negotiate real roads,streets,'n highways there is some wiggle room for Cd available.
If you ever want to see the high side of 47 mpg in a 1/2-ton pickup,I recommend 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
ERTW (03-02-2012)