View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
We know is not true. In 20 years the current crop of engines will probably be considered gross polluters.
You don't have to wait 20 years for them to be dirtier - every engine becomes less clean as it ages. European emissions standards take this into account and now have different limits for when the brand-new car leaves the factory and when it is being exploited on the road.
I totally agree with MetroMPG that no diesel (or any other fuel) powered vehicle is technically clean until its tailpipes emissions are exactly the same as intake air, molecule for molecule. When buying a "clean" car we only trying to pick the lesser evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The new crop of diesels with DPFs have cleaner emissions, that's a fact. Unfortunately, they are still filthy in terms of the amount of petroleum they are designed to burn. The cursed VW TDI is warranted to use ONLY 5% biodiesel -- I will never buy one unless I can convert it to burn 100% biodiesel like any good diesel should.
New diesels with DPFs increase fuel consumption and aren't too reliable, as Euromodder can testify. They also require cesium and/or urea based fluids to work properly.
PSA (Citroën/Peugeot) says its HDi turbodiesels can take up to 30% biodiesel, but it has to be premixed - you can't just pour 7 gallons of regular diesel, followed by 3 gallons of 100% bio, into your tank. Plus normal fuels here in the EU (not sure about the US) already have 5% biocomponents in them, more to satisfy the farming lobby than for cleaner emissions.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread