View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Olympiadis
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I apologize if I've missed anything important, Olympiadis, as I glazed over your last 2 posts.

Approximately what does an HHO system cost to install, what are the complications (fuel maps?), and what are the predicted gains? I'll admit I'm extremely skeptical (I've outright dismissed it in the past) but I would be willing to set one up if the cost isn't very much, and do a battery of tests.
I'm sorry but I have nothing to do with HHO sales or promotion of any kind.
You are correct in being skeptical of any claims from both sides of the isle.

From what I gather, many people have attempted to use HHO to improve fuel economy and ultimately failed. That fact seems perfectly believable to me because many who attempt the more common style of tuning with just air and gasoline also fail to get the results that they seek.
I certainly wouldn't let other's failures stop you from testing something you are curious about no matter what it is.

I have to admit that at this point my curiosity is also raised to the point of seriously considering doing some testing myself. If for nothing else to determine if HHO is in fact useless as an oxidizer which has been claimed here in Mr. Frey's post.

There are also many claims that HHO applied correctly has resulted in significant increases in fuel economy. These reports may be in error, but that should be determined by investigation and not theory. The investigation into why some people get results at all could be useful in revealing information that was not considered before.

I am sorry to say that as of yet I have not tested HHO in any way, but that could change this year as a project will be coming up that would lend itself well as a proper test-bed for such a thing. If things go well I may have have useful data to report by the years end. The vehicle is a shell at this point, which explains the long time period required.
As with any testing I'm sure I'll find it quite interesting no matter what the final results may be.

My bringing up the term "HHO" in this discussion was only to point out glaring errors I have observed from both sides of the HHO discussion concerning the dynamics of engine tuning, and how that is relevant to the use of BSFC maps. I did not mean to mislead you.

It seems a bit sad that when a term like "HHO" is used here on this forum the prevailing attitude is automatically so negative. Someone along the line must have been scammed by one of those late night infomercials promising to run your car on water. We all hate scams, but it's no excuse to lose your reasoning ability. It is however a very human quality, similar to what gave rise to witch trials.

edit: If anyone has any question like this for me please pm or email me so I can stay out of this thread. Thank you.

Last edited by Olympiadis; 03-03-2012 at 09:43 PM..