View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gone2
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
The only reasion for the cardboard is because my thermostat was stuck open and was running around 160F, with the cardboard it could get to 166-170 and about 174 in town. I forgot to remove it when I installed the new 192F thermostat, but watching my scangauge closely, it has never gone over 204F. I do plan to remove it once i make a grill block though.

I do plan on removing the mud flaps, they actually have a slot at the top of them to allow the air to go though, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

I was thinking about a mirror delete, but state law prevents me since it requires two OUTSIDE! mirrors.... Might look at folding in the passenger side since I rarely use it/need it and it would still be there... just not adjusted well .

The steel rims appear fairly smooth, would smooth wheel covers really make much of a difference? I thing lighter is better for wheel covers, so I would be looking to use chloroplast besides the fact I don't want the flashy hubcaps. Should be fairly easy to cut a circle in chloroplast, make holes for the lugnuts (4) and one for the valvestem. I have an extra set of Camry hubcaps that should go on this just fine, but I was thinking the extra weight would offset the small aero benefit. I'm thinking I could fill the indents in the hubcaps to have a good look yet aero. Ones I have are like these:

I'm also thinking a whiper blade aero deflector might be a fair benefit as well.

So many mods, so little time! I work 8 days on, 6 days off, so in a few days I'll have to play around with some mods .
If you have an Autozone up that way, I'm from down south, see if you can find the small size mirrors. I paid around $10 a piece for mine and mounted them below where the originals were. My passenger is currently removed and sitting in my floorboard. I picked up about a 5-6% increase just by decreasing the size of the mirror. Also, Home Depot down here carries coroplast by the 4' x 8' sheets. They call it corrugated plastic. Just a thought. Otherwise, I'll be following closely. Looks great