View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
aloening
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
There have been big fanfares and trumpeting of EV charging provisions in the UK- making using an EV for commuting a reality..

As of today, this is my reality-

Green dot= home, Yellow dot= Work

No public charging stations anywhere near where I'm using the vehicle..

Additionally, reading the Leaf website- I see that there is a charge for getting a home charging point installed?

and lastly- anyone any idea how EV's could be used by people staying in Flats/condos etc? Cant see a way to have home charging?!
320Touring

We recently formed the Electric Vehicle Association Scotland - if you are keen on EVs please join us and I am sure that we can help you understand what can and can't be done with EVs. We need people like you who want to use an EV but are frustrated by the lack of infra-structure. It is your experience that will help us get the message across to the Scottish government so that they fund the right thing for EV use in Scotland.

Having said that;

We have members who regularly use EVs for commuting greater distances that your home/work distance. Your 25 mile trip is very feasibile in almost all currently available EVs. Even the G-Wiz would make 25 miles if there is somewhere to charge at work. If not the Leaf, i-Miev, C-Zero or iOn will easily make the return trip even in the Scottish winter.

As for charging - all of the above cars will charge very happily overnight from a 13A socket. You don't need any special kit unless you want to charge faster.

For people without a permanent parking place and charge socket however there are still challenges to EV charging - and this is one thing that EVAS are working hard on.

Anyway - take a look at our web site www(dot)EVA-Scotland(dot)org and please feel free to join us even if you don't have an EV just now.
The Following User Says Thank You to aloening For This Useful Post:
Ryland (03-04-2012)