View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
Why is it greedy?
It's greedy because you apparently expect everyone in the oil industry to work for your benefit, at far less than the market rates, in order to provide you with cheap fuel - which you then proceed to waste because you can't be bothered to enlarge your comfort zone or change your attitudes.

For a reality check, it's not "our" oil: it belongs to whoever pays for the drilling rights, invests the money (often ranging into multiple millions) to drill the wells, pumps the oil out, and refines it into useful products. It's their property, and they're perfectly entitled to sell it on the open market, for whatever price buyers are willing to pay.

And FWIW, I'm fairly close to your age, and had a fairly similar childhood and young adulthood, yet I have no problems with small cars - my first non-clunker was an Austin-Healey Sprite; I currently drive a '00 Honda Insight, which at $8500 cost more than twice as much as any other vehicle I've ever owned. For hauling stuff, I drive an '88 Toyota pickup ($2800, IIRC), which is quite capable of hauling loads of hay & feed out to my friends' ranch where my horse stays. It'll also pull a 2-horse trailer, or a bed & trailer loaded with firewood, perhaps not at 70 mph up a long 6% grade, but well enough for what I need - and averages about 27 mpg doing all that.

Now I won't argue about your need for a heavy truck for your occasional heavy hauling, but surely you don't haul that size load on your commute every day. You can find small, fuel-efficient cars (or motorcycles) fairly cheap. If you're really interested in saving a significant amount of gas on your commute, that is your only real alternative (other than possible telecommuting or moving). I'm sorry to tell you this, but it's all down to physics, and physics just doesn't care about what you or I want.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (03-05-2012)