View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Subie nose-job

If you looked at my post on "nose-jobs" you may have picked up on the notion that Subaru is no newcomer when it comes to aero.In fact there development model for the XT,back in the 80s scored Cd0.088 in the windtunnel.From a look at the picture of your car I really can't find much fault for the production front end.If I were gonna mod it,I'd do nothing to encourage air from going under,I'd try to channel it to the sides,as mentioned by others.I'd consider a complete upper grille-block and leave the lower intact.That one could be progressively blocked 'til you scare yourself,then back off a bit.The Lexus/Highlander nose has nothing to it's advantage other than the promise of scaling really steep grades.There could be room for a very shallow chin spoiler.It's hard to tell from the photo.A semi-circular nose,when viewed from overhead the car is ideal,however the generous radii,as already present in the production nose provides most of the efficiency as proven 22-years ago by Hucho and his team during development of the VW Scirrocco,Golf,Rabbit,etc..I'm not going to tell you that you're wasting your time on the front end,however your greatest challenge will be at the vehicle rear.If you'll read my installment on "rooflines" you'll get a sense of what I'm talking about.I'll be posting more installments for "undersides","wheels/tires","tails",and some case-studies,you may find info of value to your project.Good luck with the project.