View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
bed cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Just who I wanted to hear from.

Which do you think is more important: maintaining flow attachment or reduction of wake area? Sure, we'd all like to do both, but I only have 80" of "run" to reduce 24" of "delta-y."

Would it be better to have 10 degrees and 12 degrees and the top of the thing 9" above the top rail of the tail gate or rather going 10/12/14 degrees and the top about 7" above the rail?

This is an interim for me follwing shooting off my mouth. Ultimately I'll make something like Bondo's fiberglass bed cover but I intend to build in a couple of faired in hard points for CCTV cameras. Here in Indiana I may be able to get an exemption from the requirement for side mirrors and my truck's mirrors are huge.

First things first. If the removable tarp thing works out I may do a side business selling to the driveaway guys. Then the hard cover.

The goofy fixed fairing I have (see garage) actually does very well at improving MPG. Its just not bed-user friendly.
Big Dave,Kamm and Korff and all the other heavy-hitters insist that its more important to maintain attached flow.On his K-cars,Kamm never exceeded 10-degrees of roof slope.He could of,as Mair would later demonstrate.And if you look at pics of the K-cars,the roof does not descend a great deal before its chopped off.The trade-off was good rear visibility,good rear headroom,and a drag coefficient close to that of the full-boat-tail car.If the bed cover slope starts out too radically,the flow will immediately separate.It may re-attach somewhere downstream,however your fuel is wasted feeding that rotational energy which cannot be recovered .I did a post on "Rooflines" as one of my recent installments here in the aero section of ecomodder.I think you'll find it of interest.Much luck with the project,like what your doing,Phil.
minAirForce (05-17-2011)