View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Pics :eek:

Sorry I didn't take pics when things were all apart. I allowed these pics to be somewhat larger than I usually post because the detail is hard to see.

Here we can see the lack of a fan behind the radiator. Oil filter is now out in the open! Yes, that is the GROUND you see underneath! Alternator used to sit up high just like in vacationtime's shot above. Now it sits low on a welded angle-iron bracket. A/C compressor gone; power steering pump laying on the bottom of the engine bay.

Here's the view down the black hole that is the "front" of the engine. Hard to see what's going on down there... you can imagine how fun it is trying to jam your hands in there and work wrenches and whatnot. This is when those "dentist's mirrors" come in handy. Anyway, that is the water pump pulley, 33% larger diameter than stock, and the backside flange has been cut off. That cast iron chunk that is obstructing our view of the good stuff is the motor mount... the one that needed clearancing on the bottom side after Phase II.

Here's my lovely Chevy Orange alternator adjustment bracket. It seems to be making nice with all the Ford stuff that surrounds it. Note that the alternator is wearing the old stock water pump pulley- nice 'n' ginormous!

The top run of the belt goes off the left of the pic straight to the water pump and the bottom run goes straight to the crank pulley. Neat, simple, clean... and with any luck, more efficient. The need for a spring tensioner has been eliminated as well.

Total damage to the wallet still stands at $23.70.

HA! Found a good pic of the stock mess:

Now the belt drive is more like this:

Last edited by Frank Lee; 03-06-2012 at 10:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
vacationtime247 (03-06-2012)