View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Sorry, my mistake with the title, would this be a mild hybrid then?
Yes, I realize that I would use less gas if the engine was not running at all, but without pulling the stock drive train or adding a 5th wheel or doing some funky set up with bolt on wheel motors, it seems like there is no good way to do an ad on hybrid drive train, also Honda Civic's are common enough that if this does work then there are a ton of people who could copy it.
There is a guy on EV album who has a civic cx converted to electric that getting 205 watt hours per mile under ideal conditions on pure electric power, I assume that is at 55mph or so, that would be over 11,000 watts at a steady speed or about 15hp, more then these little 10hp motors can handle, but being able to provide half of that would be a large load taken off the engine and my goal is not to build a pure electric car, I have a pure electric car already, but being able to offset my gasoline use on longer trips or when I need to haul more stuff or people then my two seat electric car will handle is the goal.
I also agree with the idea of plotting it all out on paper before putting any cash in to parts, of course all of the parts that would be used would also work well for an electric motorcycle, go cart, powered bicycle trailer or any number of other electric vehicle projects and I don't see any way that this could hurt my current gas mileage other then the added weight and V-belt, so it's only going to improve and if my other options for getting 70mpg is to spend $5,000 on a Honda Insight and be back where I don't have much more space then my two seat electric car then it seems like a worth while project to think about and well within a lot of peoples price range and skill set.