View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
After taking a closer look at the upper grill, I have to agree 100%.
It's actually too high above the radiators to allow the air flow do much good.
Now I've got to figure out a way to make that protrusion smooth...

On the bottom, the two outboard holes do nothing (but add drag).
The other two small inputs (middle ones) should also be sealed over.

As you can see, there is a horizontal bar across the center of the main input.
So, I could block up the top half or the bottom half and be pretty near the recommended intake size.

I like the lower being open, since I leave the plate alone (or move it down ~2 inches).
If the upper half was open, I would want to drop the plate down about 8"..

What do you think would be better for the cd? upper or lower blocked?
GM,on Corvettes,Trans Ams,and some Camaros,pulled off a complete grille-block by going to a "bottom-breather" arrangement,where a chin spoiler scooped up air,and channeled it into an inlet duct to the radiator.It's an exquisite design but requires a long duct (read long nose which scrapes everything if you're not careful).You've got gobs of ground clearance and might be able to do that(which is at the cutting-edge).Without knowing how deep your radiator is,I don't know how much of the lower opening you could block without introducing cooling problems.Getting to your question about which is best,it may be a draw,as the drag reduction comes from the reduced internal flow,regardless of where the restriction occurs.With respect to form-drag,I'd favor blocking the upper portion,since the license plate is already there if it didn't curtain off the cooling air so much as to be a problem.The other thought though is that from your photo,it looks like a front airdam could do you some good,in that it would block air from under the CRV,and in that case,blocking the upper portion would make sense and the lowered license plate could be integrated into the airdam itself below the cooling inlet.Flow would separate at the lower edge of the plate,as its flat,and that sucks,however,maybe you could cheat the plate up a bit,and provide just a little radius under it for attached flow.Many thoughts! Am I thinking this thing to death! Sorry.