View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
2005_rs
EcoModding Lurker

My magnaflow installation looks alot like your pic in the o.p. The noise was horrible until I added a 9" tailpipe section onto the muffler in order to terminate the exhaust at the bumper. That quieted it down a lot. I think the sound was resonating off the inside of the bumper and underneath the car until I made the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
In the OP I dismissed the Thrush Turbo as a fart can, then I continued looking and eventually found someone who insists it sounds a lot like stock and does not attract police attention like other mufflers. I think the fart can effect heard in the vid in post #1 might be because of a tip. The cheaper price of the Thrush remains attractive for an experiment.

For the hell of it, for the cheap of it, and for my general weight reduction project, I'm thinking I'll get the Thrush, compare its weight to stock, install it, post my own sound video, and compare its life span with the several stock mufflers this car has gone through over the last decade. Cheap initial cost and modestly lighter weight are the only savings/FE goals. And additional benefit might be that it has a smaller diameter and might integrate better into a underbelly pan project for the rear of the car.