View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
skeeterb
OMG... It's SkeeterB!!!

Send a message via AIM to skeeterb Send a message via Yahoo to skeeterb
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
doax the pic microcontroller is easy to learn and there is alot of code examples out there to do just about anything you want. the programmers are cheap and tech support ,,,fair. the 16f84 is the one everyone learns on . but i use the 16f877 for most of my stuff because it has 33 I/O that you can program to be any combanation of inputs and outputs, i dont know if you write in assembler but this chip is a risc (reduced instruction set) and has only around 33commands, and cost around $10.00 dollars,then you just need a few resistors,a crystal and a few caps. i have used these chips in some very complex machines, they are rock solid and easy to use once you get used to them.i will be happy to help if you want to switch over to them.im not that knowledgable about arudino, it was'nt out when i started with pic.
I like to work with PIC uCs too, especially since I can speed the coding using a program called Flowcode to generate the code. The free version is pretty good even though it has a 4 macro 16 icon/macro limit. It won't generate code for the EEPROM or a few other devices. I've registered my copy so I have full use. You can also get free samples of the PIC uCs too at microchip. If you want to try using PICs, download the free versions of MPLAB and Flowcode and experiment. If you like them, you can start using them for your projects. I'm not really familiar with coding an arduino, but I would like to recommend PICs as a user of that line of uCs. I started using PICs by using assembly, but when I was introduced to Flowcode, I was hooked. If I can get enough money together, I hope I can start converting an ICE Car to an EV. User friendly BMS' are good to have, especially if it was created by a fellow EV user/fan.
Not with a Bang
But with a Belch
BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPP

Last edited by skeeterb; 03-07-2012 at 11:50 AM..