View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
motocyco
EcoModding Lurker

Ralph - '07 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport
90 day: 30.57 mpg (US)

Bonnie - '16 Triumph Bonneville T100
90 day: 49.79 mpg (US)

Trixie - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Vicky - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 KLE300
90 day: 63.01 mpg (US)

Lainey - '95 Ford F350 XLT
90 day: 18.08 mpg (US)
Sorry, I just realized that anybody had responded. Let me see if I can provide an update and answer a few questions.

First off, I've had to change the 4x4. My wife's Jeep Liberty broke a connecting rod, and since we can't afford two car payments (I was making payments on my F150), and I couldn't let her drive a beater, I traded my F150 to get her a Ford Edge. Nice little SUV, and gets over 22 mpg in her mixed, every day driving. EPA says 24 mpg on the highway; let's see if I can beat that. Anyway, I am now driving a 1987 Ford Bronco II, which gets better gas mileage than the F150 and since it is also a 4x4 it makes a great hunting truck. Also, it has a 5 speed manual tranny, so hypermiling will be easier. I still haven't run the first tank of fuel through it, but I will be adding my "buggy" to my garage shortly.

The high mileage bike project is on hold for now. Since the Jeep basically became worthless overnight, my money went to getting myself a truck.

I love our weather, the coldest morning was only 27 degrees F. I never had to park the bike for cold weather. My seven mile commute to work means that I rarely miss a day for cold weather. Now, cold and wet is another story.

I have only once been able to touch the 60mpg since that trip. Maybe part of that has to do with not getting a highway exclusive trip, and part may have to do with the colder weather. The gearing change I made was to use a smaller rear final drive pulley from another Harley. The next step would be to go with a larger front pulley. But, I have also added a slightly larger fairing than the flyscreen used to get 60 mpg, and I have added saddlebags. Maybe I need to post a pic of the bike. Pics help.