View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
The truckers must know me too when I'm in the right lane of the interstate with the c/c set at 55 mph many of them honk as they pass, I just honk back!! They get mad because I'm driving 55 in a 65, yet often they have plenty of time to switch lanes and get around without being held up if they were just paying attention to upcoming traffic. I don't feel sorry for them if they can't tell from 1/4 mile away that they are gaining on me and I'm driving slower than most people. I drove a loaded 24 ft. moving van from NC-KY when we moved in 2010 and had no trouble telling if I was gaining on someone far before I caught up with them. These guys drive daily for a living, not all of them, but many of them can't see beyond the hood of their own truck.
I give'em an earful on the radio when they pull that stunt with me: I.D. their truck by company name and direction of travel, asking who gave them driving instruction . . they should sue to get their money back. You're right that there is no excuse for stupidity.

On the other hand, with a lot of traffic to "manage" there are times this is not so simple as it appears. Especially in an underpowered or heavily loaded big truck. But those guys (of whom I've been one) just gut it out in the main.

I try (in my pickup) to help all of them flow around me by slowing at an opportune moment for them to go around me that they may easily get back into the right lane. A similar approach on a two-laner, but that maneuver set is co-ordinated by radio. A dive to the shoulder and some brakes can get them around quickly. Always better to have the big truck around one and gone.