View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The turbos in a B17 had a vertical axis of rotation and spun at 22,000 RPM. When hit by flack or other projectiles they would disintegrate and cut the ball turret in half. They did help to stabilize the plane.

While I understand the dynamics of gyroscopes to a point, it was one of the factors that changed my direction in favor of hydraulic accumulators.

The real question is how much capacitive storage do you really need beyond a single high speed stop or start? From what I have read the energy lost in a 60-0 stop would propel your car down the road at 60 MPH for .7 mile. If you cycled the engine on for .3 mile, the off for .7 mile, it would be about the same as a typical P&G cycle, without speed variations.

Some like to compare this to battery capacity, but that is not really the point. The battery electric cars weakest performance is regenerative braking, as well as P&G type operation. Both of these states of operation are high losses for electric power. Losses in a decent hydraulic system are much lower by a factor of at least half.

regards
Mech