View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
dem45133
Outside the Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Best spec is obviously:

I'd say those will pay for the change made. As to those who demand 4WD there isn't going to be a reasonable FE commensurate with on-road requirements.

It's all a balancing act between weight, complexity and ROI. So truck spec matters most in making the most, IMO.
Yes, one doesn't need 4x often, and when I bought 94 3/4 I went back to 2wd lim slp. But I searched it out when shopping for the 1 ton for one reason... getting a 8500# boat and trailer up the ramp when pulling out of the lake. The first time with the 94 3/4 360 auto... 98% throttle hadn't moved it... at 100% she just barely started to inch forward. In addition I had placed about 1500 lbs of fire wood in the bed because this sail boat ramp starts out normal, but about half way in they go steep and deep by design... (these boats draft 7 ft some of em). On a solid frame triple when the front axle comes back over the hump coming back out, the back two axles are still on the steep and it will actually take weight off the tongue... many big 2wd get hung there... and just spin on the dry even. I've watched it. So I weighted it. I got it out that first year as I had the traction, but not the gearing or power. And that torque converter wouldn't have held that long without cooking. The next season we took Melanie's Bronco too and chained up to the front of the 94 to assist. If I'd had 4x low range... wouldn't have had any issue. So the 4x4 has to stay. Triples tow better, but tandem would be better at the ramps.

Thanks for your insights.. I looked at Deisel Dave's in the listing. He's done quite a bit. I'm real leery of blocking flow through the radiator though. One of the reasons I get the 300k longevity on heads and blocks is they've NEVER been run hot... even a little. I got in the habit of auto scanning gauges every minute or so a long time ago. If she's start to heat off the thermostat setting... I'll know it almost immediately and take steps. The 94 has trouble in the summer heat and especially the desert 110 and even light towing... 220 all the way across w/o the AC when I came back from working out west this past summer... couldn't even think of running the AC. Chrysler didn't endow it with any extra capacity that's for sure. Made me a little nervous running across 10 in southern TX's... long hot grades. I have a 195 thermo in it, which gives a little buffer for short hills and towing around here... but the desert heat and its heat off the pavement is something else! Still couldn't get below 220 even at 45 mph on that 50 mile long (or whatever it is) upgrade before the pass. Chrysler says the fan clutch is set for 220 but I've never heard it or the new one come on... I tried to get a 200 or 210... but they didn't make one.

Thanks again... Dave

[Oh eco'rs the speed limit there is 80 or 85 BTW. When it wasn't too hot I ran 75 to 80 out there and was in danger of getting run over on I25 almost anywhere except right in Albuquerque. I was passed by a big SUV and a 35 some foot triple axle travel trailer like I was going backwards one time... I was at 85... he had to be 110 or 115... just blew by me. Just the way it is there (I25 just south of Colorado somewhere). He's likely moaning over fuel prices too now I suppose though.]