View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #239 (permalink)
orbywan
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I've continued to work with Hoerner and Hucho and am preparing some pictorial data representations which I hope to complete this coming week for posting asap.
From data from Dr.Hans Gotz of Daimler-Benz,research on a 12-meter Mercedes-Benz bus(s) in 'convoy' driving conditions and streamline train research done by Lipetz,DeBell,Johansen,Tietjens,and Ripley,I 'constructed' a cascading model of bus/train hybrid.
Placing the streamline train tapered-tail tailcar behind the M-B bus,bumper-to-bumper,and then successively removing length (surface friction drag),the drag nulls out at a 'trailer' length of 12-meters,giving the bus/trailer combination the same drag as the bus operating without a trailer.
As the trailer is continually shortened,eliminating all length except for the tapered boat tail,the drag goes into negative territory,registering Cd 0.475 with the trailer,as opposed to Cd 0.50 for the solo bus.
So on paper,as far as aerodynamic technology goes,it is possible to tow a trailer and simultaneously reduce overall aerodynamic drag.
The hitch would be in inertia.
As an 'empty',lightweight,add-on streamlining device,weight would have to be kept a the very minimum while remaining robust enough for real service duty on real streets and roadways,or added rolling resistance would eat into the aerodynamic gains.
So while a 'determined' member could splurge for an expensive super-light construction,most might do a 'conventional' build and have a fairly high confidence that between weight and drag,you'd 'break even' on the open road,with the trailer essentially 'invisible' at the gas pump
I'll chip away at the images.
I'd hoped to post the photos of the Univ. of Bochum solar car today,so I'll see about that.
Nothing wrong with 'breaking even' in this case.
The Following User Says Thank You to orbywan For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-10-2012)