View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F. View Post
I was going to clarify, but its not worth the bother.
The easy answer to his "dilemma" is that only a few truck drivers are that bad, and, to let them (the trucks) find their own way along. If one can be of help by moving over, the benefit of having commercial traffic well ahead instead of jammed behind ought to be obvious.

And what he -- the four wheeler -- think is "just a few miles" is indicative of not understanding what a truck is like to drive. No surprise, and nothing that marks him out from the crowd. But it's a bad assumption nonetheless as his air conditioned go-kart can do anything it wants, any time it wants. A big truck is constrained in every way possible, and more he hasn't considered.

He hasn't the knowledge, thus why chastise his ignorance?

But he might take seriously someone who does it for a living. We might ask what it is he does, and make his work life dangerous, and a lot less remunerative. Not only threaten him with being fired, but seeing to it that he is not ever again hired in that field.

If he works at a computer all day then the analogy would be that whenever he switches to to a non-work related screen everyone around him could be electrocuted. And, in the meantime we'll cut his daily or weekly pay by a considerable percentage while also adding to the stress in other ways because it's convenient for us to ignore him as we go along our dumb and happy way. He has to switch screens, as there are others around who make it so.

We others might take him seriously if he'd stated that, as this is my field, I can say from experience that . . . . to some question around here. Statistical analysis. Design. Engineering. Whatever. Literally doesn't matter. He should try doing the same. Ignorance is one thing, and often easily remedied by the knowledgeable. I've been handed my head before.

But rudeness is quite another in assuming he has any idea of what commercial driving is like . . that is, if he expects equal consideration for what he's worked hard to achieve in his field. His skill level as a car driver would cause him to kill other people the first day in a big truck. There's no translation that is direct, but that his assumptions make it so.

Last edited by slowmover; 03-10-2012 at 09:17 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Marc F. (03-10-2012), spacer (02-05-2014)