View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
Think those flairs have that much drag? The look pretty streamlined to me.
It's not so much the flairs themselves, as what they do to the air behind them. For minimum air resistance, you want a teardrop shape (which means that what you do at the front of the vehicle is much less important than the rear. The dually fender flares widen out the body just when you should want it to taper inwards.

I'd suggest going to the areodynamics section, and looking at what people have done with pickup shells, and why.

Quote:
Maybe I'll get a small 4 banger convertible sports car... bI've had heavy metal for so long... just the lightness of the suspension and brake systems in these itty bitty cars make me nervous... there is just is nothing there... itty bitty everything! One run into the ditch and out to avoid some idiot...will kill it.
I'm here as living proof that it isn't likely to kill you. Been driving the smallest cars I could find since the early '70s (the Austin-Healey Sprite) up to today in the Honda Insight, and am still walking around. In fact, barring one deer (which was tossed onto my hood after being hit by an SUV going the other way), the only damage to any car I've driven happened when I was stopped, and some other idiot rear-ended me.

But I suppose I can sort of understand your feelings, 'cause when I have to ride in (or worse, drive) someone's SUV or big pickup, I feel really insecure being way up in the air like that in a vehicle that handles like a waterbed. It's like sitting on a wobbly barstool after 3 or 4 drinks...