View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yesterday I installed a lower grill block (about 85% blocked off), deleted the mud flaps, and folded in the passenger's mirror which should have been done a month ago >,<. First trip today with the mods with the typical wind from the west, and had a new trip record of 45.3mpg. This is with lights on, traveling at 45mph for about 36 miles to work. The last record was going home in the morning (no lights), traveling at 45mph. So far that is a 4-7 mpg gain (before I averaged 38-41) or a 10-18% gain (only 1 trip to base on so far).

Things are looking up, had a few times I was able to maintain speed at 45mph and have the scan gauge say 60mpg on fairly flat ground .

The only draw back so far is the water temp is a bit higher than before. Normaly while driving it rides around 202F (max 206F spikes), Today 80% of the trip it was 202-204F.. not a prob, but the last bit (best mpg as well) was higher, jumped to 212F pretty quick, then steadied off at around 215F. Max was 216F. Keep in mind I have a 192F thermostat, factory was 180F. I also have NEVER heard the fan kick on, when my dad changed the thermostat, he couldn't get it to open while idling to burp the system.

My intake is well away from the engine (front left corner up high) and intake temp was going up the entire trip, ended up around 96F nice and warm! I have been throwing the engine blanket idea around, but not sure how hot I should allow the under hood temps to get to before worrying. Besides quicker warm up times, I won't see much of a benefit since after I get to work, the car sits 10.5 hours.

I think the belly pan or some wheel covers should be next. Got to get a 50mpg average trip .

EDIT:

Woot new record again!

47mpg on the trip home.

Before I was around 42-45 mpg at 45mph and averaged 38-41mpg per tank, so if it is relatively close to the difference now, I should be getting close to a 45mpg tank average (didn't check scan gauge).

Couple things to note, wind was low (less fight for the first 1/3rd trip home), when I got home my pc said the weather is 55F outside (seems closer to 50 to me but w\e), and finally peak water temp hit 224F, it stuck around 213F for a while and bounced around 220F a bit after that. When I had to stop at a stop light the temp went down!

I think an adjustable lower block is a MUST for any warmer of weather. That way I can have it 100% closed when I first start the car, and once it gets up to temp (around 200-210F) I can open it up some, and if it starts to get too hot, open more. Currently it only has about a 5-6 inch wide opening by about 4 inches. I think I'll make the opening around 12 inches wide (license plate width) and have it adjustable from 0-12 inch opening from within the car.

I'm really excited, I can't wait to fill up (another 200-250 miles to go ....). If I can hit 45mpg on this tank, my latest goal will be met O.o. When I bought this car I never dreamed it could even get close to 50mpg, was guessing max 40-42 (prior research).

Last edited by ps2fixer; 03-11-2012 at 12:32 PM..