View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
I'd like to see more what Wenzel and Ross says... do you have a web address or lead where I can get detail?
Try here: Is Bigger Safer? It Ain't Necessarily So It's a discussion, with a link to the actual paper. You can also find many other links by searching on something like "Wenzel Ross vehicle model risk"

Quote:
Yes this graph relates the laws of physics quite well... but there are factors its NOT identifying... ie. that very few Camerys are towing or hauling... and how much of the 3x and 10x are due to the fact that the 1 tons and 3/4s are pulling or hauling something in the bed that exacerbates its particular issues.
Yes, that's true, but really, what percentage of the time is the typical 3/4 or 1 ton pickup actually hauling or towing? May be different in your part of the country, but around here (northern Nevada) they're mostly used to commute to office jobs, or maybe hauling a few tools to construction sites. (FWIW, I worked construction for years, driving a Mazda RX3 wagon for long trips, or a tiny by today's standards Datsun pickup for local hauling.) I doubt if time spent hauling/towing is enough to affect the statistics.

Quote:
I had a state trooper try to cite me once for no seat belt in the semi...
Now how on earth could he tell, given the height difference?

Quote:
No, the data is inconclusive if it doesn't take freight and towing into consideration. Its what they were designed for. So what was the basis of the study and how were unique factors incorporated?
Sure, but you need to go with the best data you have (or can get) until you can get better, and I doubt if accident statistics record things like pickup loads. Though as above, we could make a fair guess by noting that most pickups on the road are empty or lightly loaded, and not towing.

We could also compare the rates of pickups and the truck-based SUVs they're derived from, since the SUV won't be hauling nearly as much load, and can't pull heavy 5th-wheel trailers. W&R do this, as shown it the attached, and it seems the SUV risk is less, but still much higher than for the Camry. However, the SUVs are usually based on the 1/2 ton pickup (e.g. F150 vs F350), which have lower risk than the 3/4 and 1 ton versions. There's also a driver behavior factor, which W&R address, that might reduce the SUV accident rate.

And finally, given the description of your commute in the other post, I think the best choice for your daily driver would be an older Mazda Miata.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wr2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	10461