View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
uksoundz
EcoModding Lurker

New hypermiler from the UK

Hi guys,

Can I first say that this site is fab, lots of great info to really get my teeth into, I appreciate that most of what I'm asking has probably been answered a thousand times before... I only wish the UK had such a busy hypermiling scene !

I do around 400 miles per week, so need to be fuel efficient, with diesel around £1.50 a litre ($2.35 ish) it's costing a pretty penny.

I used to have a diesel fiat grande punto, which was good for 55 MPG (Imp) with a lead foot.
I needed a bigger car so have now bought a Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi, it's a quite big SUV, now it doesn't have an instant MPG trip computer, so have ordered the Ultra-Gauge, so hopefully when that arrives it should help somewhat.

I've been actively reading up about hypermiling on this and other sites for a while now, and must admit I'm being put off slightly about buying a diesel, as it seems that the big gains can be had with petrol, and that a lot of techniques don't work so well on diesels. I've read a few threads on this matter, but a lot of posts are written in such technical terms, a newb like me struggles to understand lol

I understand P&G is more suited to petrols, and as my car is fitted with a DPF, I don't like this idea as it would most probably clog it up, does anyone have any suggestions.
At the moment I'm just taking things steady, switching the engine off when I go down big hills etc.

Also my recommended tyre pressure is 33PSI all round, and the max on the tyre wall is 44PSI, what would you go to and consider to be safe still, baring in mind the car with have a full family in it at times !

My book average figures are 57MPG, when the Ultra-Gauge arrives I hope to beat this. Anyone else got any advise ?

Thanks,
Paul.