View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
KY_Canyon
EcoModding Lurker

BigBlue - '05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 Z71
90 day: 22.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
My corolla is almost the exact opposite to your canyon, it does DFCO if I let off the gas enough at almost any speed including NEUTRAL (very short time of course)! I think it uses the TPS and engine load/MAP to determine when it go into DFCO mode. Going 45mph, I can coast about a mile and still be moving ~25mph before my engine kicks in and my scan gauge says around 80mpg. If I stick it in neutral at that point, my mpg drops... I don't know why. Coasting in neutral for me gives maybe 15-20% further coast, but uses fuel, about 140mpg down to the 70s when it gets down to 25mph. For my case, I think DFCO is the better pick for me.
Yeah, some cars it works better on than others, and each manufacturer / model has different conditions. My problem is that even if I start coasting at 68 then DFCO kicks in and I may be getting a huge boost in MPG, but speed decreases at such a rapid rate that my coast down is way too short. My commute is about 75% on a 70 MPH parkway. So, this doesn't work well for me as I'd like to be able to coast freely at idle for a longer distance with less drastic speed reduction. I refuse to shift in and out of neutral on the road, so I have no option but to continue to give throttle going down hill at my parkway speeds or the engine braking will robe my kinetic energy. If I'm traveling on a road less than 60, then I can let off and coast. So, it's not so much that the system doesn't work, it's that my needs are slightly different.