View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yesterday I tested Neutral coasting vs letting off the gas in gear on a couple small hills I know fairly well now.

Letting off the gas the scan gauge would go to around 90-100mpg
Coasting in neutral it went to 130-160mpg

In both cases, I think the distance with coasting were about the same. So for my setup neutral coasting down hills (no stops afterward) really is a benefit, since I don't have any that I can DFCO down with out loosing speed.

Before the last mods (lower grill block, passenger mirror fold in, and mud flap delete), I couldn't coast in neutral down the same hills with out loosing speed.

Another thing I just though of for the main topic, since my car DFCOs so easy, I think it would be a good example of how much engine wear there is from engine braking in that mode. Car currently has 231k miles original engine/trans. My 92 camry has ~303k but I only drove it about 45k miles and it don't go into DFCO very often (it didn't like to idle down while coasting). The camry is on the original engine/trans as well, I just changed cars because it is a low base line to start from (27mpg) and the corolla I got super cheap, $700 + $500 in parts and a little time.

The only thing I can think that would have more wear would be gears in the trans mission since coasting is more or less like going in reverse (opposite side of the gear wearing compaired to normal driving). My camry has a sloppy feeling when letting off the gas and then resuming speed, and I suspect it to be the trans/axles, corolla is very tight yet.

Last edited by ps2fixer; 03-13-2012 at 10:29 PM..