View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
rountreesj
EcoModding Lurker

WONDERING IF: civic vx turbo 6 psi water injection NO TUNE

wondering if this would be possible:

d15z1 honda vx engine
has leanburn when not under load 3 valves per cylinder under 2500rpms
if i turboed it with 3-6psi and made a water injection system to keep the cylinders cool and kept the ecu untuned.

would:

the 5 wire o2 sensor read the water coming out in the exhaust as more o2 and thus add more gas?

the water not prevent detonation from running too lean (this assuming the o2 would not compensate with added fuel)

the water cause the piston walls to be "washed" and therefore cause unwanted wear?

I ask this, because it seems as though the water would NOt cause more combustion, like the Brown's gas is rumored to - it is o2 gas or something, but rather, the water would cool the engine when running lean.

typically with a turbo car, the extra fuel is NOT added to keep the air fuel ratio at a certain point to keep combustion happening, as i used to think, but rather simply used to keep the engine cool, the same way that spraying water in would. liquid gas has the same thermodynamic cooling effect as water would.

the main issues with this thought are, the possible wear in the engine from too much water, the cost of a system that would mist the water fine enough for this to work, and the actual ability to do it with this engine and its physical setup.

another thought is if this would even be necessary as the engine is designed to run lean not under load and the ecu does indeed give more fuel at high load, so tuboing only under high load could have the engine essentially in lean burn always...

your thoughts ecomodders...

Last edited by rountreesj; 03-14-2012 at 01:09 AM..