View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Good links.

For the dome light, you could have saved some money and just bought this: Warm White Light Panel 48 SMD LED Bulb Lamp T10 Dome Bulb BA9S 12V DC Adapter | eBay

I have one in my Camry. 3-5 times brighter than a new OEM bulb. My door didn't close very good one day I came home (morning/daylight time) and the LED light was on from noon to about 11pm and I still was able to start the car and go, didn't even seem like the battery was down at all. With the OEM, I had the same thing happen to me when I was running late for work, when I got out to the car, it was too low to start the car.

I'm thinking about replacing my marker lights with similar panels glued inside the lens. Could probably do the same for the brake lights even though they are white leds (lens will filter out some of the light). Them panels should work well for a cheap led lighting for off grid houses as well, but a true constant current power supply is more efficent than resisters.

A note on the 194 replacement LED bulbs, I bought a lot of 50 on ebay cheap (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices).
On my house power supply (13.8v dc) they had a slight blue look compaired to the LEDs I bought in the past (120 degree 20ma) + resister. When installed in my marker light, they appear about 65-50% as bright. In my dash, they appear purple for some reasion, the OEM 194 bulbs had a blue/green skin over the bulbs, removing them made the gauges more white/yellowish, and now they are purple lol. I have my light brightness at the brightest adjustment.

So my suggestion is to not buy from Guangzhou, CHINA. The other LEDs I bought before was from Hong Kong, but require a resister + the socket plastic.

For my marker light needs, I plan to put 2-3 of my 120 degree leds in replacement of the concave led. Pretty simple mod since the 194 bulbs are made of 3 simple items... the concave led, a resister soldered to the LED's leg, and the 194 bulb plastic.

You can just buy the bulb plastic bases for a tad bit cheaper than the complete setup. 10 LED T10 194 168 Dashboard Side Light Lamp Bulb Base | eBay

Now to find out what socket the rest of my dash lights are! lol