View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Drive Stick
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
Not new here, but traded my new car, for a different new car. (Impreza -> Prius)

Hello, I'm not new here I was active a while back, and have been reading occasionally.

I bought a 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i last year, but I was only getting avg of 25 mpg mixed. 30 of a best with really babying it, all highway. A few years ago I was a passenger in a car accident that to make a long story short has made it painful to keep operating a clutch pedal until I get some sort of corrective surgery. That being said, I wanted better MPG, more trunk space, and a payment relatively the same.

So, yesterday I traded my 11' Impreza for an 11' Prius leftover. I hope to double my gas mileage, and hopefully this car lasts over 200k miles. All my Subaru's did, so I hope the Toyota does also. I will miss my AWD but for the amount of days I actually needed it, it's not worth dealing with the frictional loss on a daily basis in the form of reduced mpg.

I don't know much about Hybrids, this is my first so it will be a learning experience. Any tips from Hybrid users, or knowledgeable people on maximizing my fuel economy with this car would be grateful.

I used to enjoy neutral coasting, engine off coasting, and shifting at 2k rpms with my stick cars, but this one is so different I can't immediately figure out what can be done to make sure I get high mileage.

Generic picture of the car, I pick it up Friday. Blue