View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Andrew63
EcoModding Lurker

The Golden Lab - '05 Buick LeSabre Custom
90 day: 24.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
My reading suggests the following method:

Add half a can to the gas tank, slowly suck up the other half using a vacuum line (being careful not to kill the engine), and then shut off the car and let it sit 10-20 minutes. Start the car again and rev it up for a few minutes, and then take it for a drive, being generous with the throttle. Some say to put Seafoam in your oil at the start too, but I don't trust it. An oil change is recommended after Seafoaming.
Ok, picked up a can of Seafoam today and mixed a dose into the gas tank at manufacturer's recommended 1 oz per gallon, sort of. I figure I have about 4 gallons left, so I put in about 4 oz (1/4 of a container) by eye ball measure.

According to the label, I can "drive the engine clean." Hmmm, we'll have to see about that! I've got the remaining 12 oz stowed in the trunk and will dump the rest in with the next fill (approx 12 gallons).

I will keep the forum informed as to the result. I'll also get after some of the other ideas recommended. She had new plugs, gapped at 1 mm (spec), about a week ago. (pinging was before plug change).

Air filter is recent and still 'clean.' The LGC probably does need a fuel filter because I don't recall when I last did that, same with PCV and EGR system. An oil change is due in a few hundred miles, so I may delay that pending seafoam in the tank result. That way if I decide to use the vacuum method, I won't be dumping a fresh oil change.

Last edited by Andrew63; 03-14-2012 at 09:52 PM..