View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
redorchestra
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
i drove a five ton truck from Canada down to Texas once and I had a CB radio. I listened to truckers who had a system for the stop and go traffic that was caused by construction zones.
Here is what they did:
As they approached a construction zone that closed down subsequent lanes they would radio to other trucks to tell them what lane on what highway in what direction was closing. Truckers would then drive in a blocking formation slightly under the speed limit in the lanes that were soon to close. cars travelling in that direction would naturally get into the lane that was still driving the speed limit. As the trucks approached the construction zone closed lanes they would slowly merge into the open lane and miles back new trucks would take over the blocking position driving slightly under the speed limit so that cars would be forced to merge early into the lane that would be open through the construction zone.
It was a fantastic system that kept the traffic moving at a steady pace and eliminated what would have caused stop and go traffic. Time is money to truckers, and they were maximizing their profits.

does my sig work now?
The Following User Says Thank You to redorchestra For This Useful Post:
Pawtuckett (03-17-2012)