View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
First bit of advice from me is never buy a solar panel that has a 3-5 year life span with a one year warranty! standard warranty with PV panels is 25 years so anyone who only gives a year warranty is not expecting their product to last!

For a solar charge controller something pretty basic like Sunforce 60012 7 Amp Charge Controller, Solar Charge Controller | Toolfetch should work just fine, that is just one of the first ones that I found... or http://www.kencove.com/fence/solar+c...GoogleProducts is weather proof, but your charge controller should be inside a building out of the weather if possible, unless you were planing to put the PV panels on the car... if that is the case then you can take the rated output and cut it by 1/3 to 1/2 because it's most likely going to be laying flat getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the energy/sun, because unless you live on the equator the sun is never straight up.

I've never put an amp meter on an alternator but my alternator on my Honda Civic I think has a 40 or 50 amp fuse, after all you want a lower amperage fuse then what the alternator is going to burn out at and I suspect that at just over 70amps your alternator is going to start to smoke and burn up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (03-19-2012)