View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
timgray
EcoModding Lurker

TimsZuki - '97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX
90 day: 25.53 mpg (US)
Exclamation Clairify some facts.

I'm a hotrodder from way back. I have 30 engine swaps under my belt as well as 15 complete engine rebuilds and 5 custom intakes designed and welded by me.

1 - bigger air intake makes ZERO difference for anything but WOT at high rpm's. In other words unless you are looking for higher HP at high RPM Wide Open throttle (I.E. BAD gas mileage) this change will do absolutely nothing for getting better gas mileage. Also do NOT waste money on those "high flow" air filters. they will do nothing for your car.

2 - Exhaust headers. Bad idea. Again only good for high rpm WOT horsepower. Exhaust manifold logs with a restriction increase low rpm torque and actually increase gas mileage.

3 - Remove ALTernator belt... Get better gains by adding underdrive pullies to your car. This gives you a greater torque gain by slowing down ALL accessories and giving you a bigger boost than the ALT will.

4 - The electric "superchargers", spiral intake inserts, and other crap that claims increases in gas mileage all are 100% fake. dont buy them. I have a guy locally that has the stupid gas magnets, the gas "catalyst", the spiral intake, a cold air intake, and the electric bilge pump fan "booster" all on his car and he still cant understand why he sees no difference in Gas mileage.

5 - dont screw with the ECM unless you know what you are doing. One guy locally leaned out his car and got great gas mileage until he burned all his valves and popped a hole in a cylinder.

I have only 15 years of experience building cars and engines from parts on up, so take my advice with whatever value you want.