Thread: new to EOC
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
larrydag
FuelSipper

HondaHokie - '95 Honda Accord DX 4 door
90 day: 26.91 mpg (US)
EOC for beginners

1. Remember safety first. As Daox said make sure you turn the key back to ON position so the computer engages again. Another safety tip, especially if coasting to a stoplight, is to remember that you only have 2-3 pumps on your brakes before you lose pressure. There are ways to compensate by adding a bigger vacuum resevoir.

2. Practice first. Try in less traffic areas and get the hang of it. Maybe even try in an empty parking lot to get the timing down. Then as you get the rhythm you can try in heavier traffic conditions. I recommend doing stop lights first then trying to do hills or flats.

3. Stoplight knowledge. Learn to judge the signals of a stoplight. Understand the patterns and timing. You can use the crosswalk signals to gauge when to turn your ignition back on. If you can't see the stoplight than look at few cars in front and wait to see when their brakelights cut off as they start moving again. I always try to be a couple cars from the intersection to give me time to startup and go.

4. Startup. I personally don't like to startup my engine if I'm still coasting above 20 MPH. I'm not sure if it hurts mechanically but it seems to be a good rule of thumb for me.