View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
In Wisconsin people with mental impairments design the traffic light systems.

In most every city in Wisconsin that i have gone to, the light instantly changes the instant a car shows up to a side street that has minimal traffic flow, many times when they are also turning right.

The result is a road that has maybe 10 cars an hour taking precedence over the main drag that probably has 600 or 800 cars an hour, causing 20 cars to come to a stop and wait watching the car drive away 1/2 a mile then the light changes in time for another car to pull up so the light only allows a couple cars through.

Although i hate Chicago, they at least have laws that dissallow the above situation by requiring traffic study and minimum cycle times along with "timed" lights. Around here the light can flash like a blinker if a car shows up from each way just perfectly, car one hits intersection, waits drives, 10 seconds later car 2 shows up and it flashes right back, nothing like forcing everyone to stop rather than leaving it green a while.

In Wisconsin there are traffic lights that are sometimes as little as 8 car length apart and of coarse they aren't even timed. one is red other turns green and vica versa.

A little common sense could save millions of gallons of fuel by simply fixing the totally broken traffic light system by keeping lights timed, by providing a logical timed delay to side streets (aka keeping one car waiting 5 minutes is less wastefull than keeping 20 cars waiting 1 minute)

I wonder who i can send my complaints to in the Wisconsin gov/dot?
They could learn something about actually controlling traffic lights instead of making do just random crap.

Ah well.