View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #160 (permalink)
renault_megane_dci
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
I thought about it pretty much, but never could actually try it.

Just for the record, "over 4k" would mean always being in the upper half of the rpm range with Teresa, as the limiter is at 7k or 7.5k (I don't really know what it depends on, speed, gear, mood, weather, constellations, perhaps...?), therefore I'm rarely over 4k. OTOH, under ~2.5k doesn't work either because of the definite complaints on her side (strange noises like pinging). So I use a pretty narrow range, which also makes engine braking kind of useless (except for some declines), so when I learned about coasting I embraced the idea wholeheartedly
Teresa being a big single cylinder engine makes it a little special regarding rpm potential and in the bike world (I use to own a big single : Suzuki Freewind 650 cm3 personal best a 4 liters to the 100 kms with a +1 font sprocket and a worn chain)

Anyway, best efficiency is at peak torque, I bet peak torque is around 4,5 to 5K and that the engine runs around this rpm at 70 mph in standart trim.

Personnaly, I wouldn't want to lug a big single at to slow a rpm cause it spells failure in my book.