View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
vacationtime247
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
A friend of my wifes just got a PT Cruiser from JD Buttwiper (Byrider). Had to know how much she paid, $18k! Holy crapoly! WTF! They were neat when they first came out, but now they're everywhere and no longer a niche piece. The car only has high RPM power, low end torque is non existent, the drag coefficient is .39, lousy MPG, obviously made from inferior parts (the whole front end suspension needed rebuilt). Glad I only gave what I did for it, would be kicking myself in the butt if I had to do all this to a car had I payed more. Notably, the PT Cruiser may have got more HP from the turbo, but it didn't translate into better MPG for it.

Yes, I'm hopeful that she'll drive the 'new' out of it quickly. Really don't want to have to do anything else to it beyond the suspension now. Should be in @ $1600. Cheapest I've seen them listed on CL now is $3k, and needed work. I'll list it at $3500, and take anything over $2800. On the prowl for a diesel Beetle or Jetta. Better yet, fix my uncles van, get that 88 Mercedes Diesel. Come to think of it, that's my next project...
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
When they first came out, I wanted a PT Cruiser so bad I could hardly contain myself. Couldn't get past the price gouging the dealers were doing back then. I did notice shortly thereafter quite a few almost new ones showed up on used car lots. Finally broke down and test drove a new automatic version.....for a half block. It failed the right foot stomp miserably, so I turned around and gave it back. That helps explain {in my mind, at least} the turbo version.

Here's wishing you luck on your project PT and that you turn a profit when you sell it. I think your wife will be okay with you reselling it after she's had a little bit of time to enjoy it.