View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The SUV and minivan replaced the station wagon because of loop holes in the EPA regulations and people bought station wagons so they could haul their family around the suburbs because you couldn't walk or bike anywhere, some people still want a vehicle for taking vacations, but does it need to be a daily driven vehicle? the "Ipod generation" as someone else called it tends to be living closer to where they work and not having kids, so a large vehicle ends up being pretty useless, maybe they are on to something?
On the other hand, I keep hearing people refer to the Prius as a "small car" and it blows my mind, the Prius C is in my mind on the large end of being a small car but vehicles like the Prius, and the Nissan Leaf are full size, 4 door, hatch back, station wagons, large enough for a family of 5.

So a big part of my is wondering if making the next generation of vehicles out of hemp, or carbon fiber or whatever is the answer or if a better answer is to first live where you want to be, to plan your life better and to get over the idea of owning a one size fits all vehicle, how many people would get along just fine with a vehicle like a Twike then be part of a car share for those times that you need to use a pickup truck, minivan or take a vacation.