View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
visor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
just a thought, if you had a visor with a frontal leading edge with the same diameter as the Texas tech study 5 and something and brought it back in a tear drop shape and sloped it downwards securing it at the point of the tear drop to the roof from the side with rounded or wing shaped brakcets.!! capped on the edges like an airplane wing.
I would still be inclined never to vent it.
Much drag on road vehicles is generated where two airstreams of different velocity are attempting to merge and blend together.
If you've ever stood on the bank of a river where a smaller tributary stream discharges in you may have noticed a degree of turbulence where the faster flowing stream meets the slower moving river.This turbulence can extend for quite a distance downstream until the viscous shearing of the water dissipates the kinetic energy of the turbulence,converting it to heat.
I think that if you were to vent the visor that you'd be setting up exactly the same scenario,where a jet from the visor would collide with the flow along the sides,whipping it up into eddies,then full-blown turbulence.
Dr.Alberto Morelli spent untold hours in Pininfarina's wind tunnel attempting to kill this sort of thing with engine bay air bleeding into the banana cars outer flow.
I would follow Dr. MacCready's lead and just close it off altogether.This sort of thing would require a full-scale wind tunnel to perfect.
In 1990 when I went by Lockheed Marrietta,Georgia,the going rate was around $2,000/hour for tunnel time.If you could get in between NASCAR teams.The A2 facility which bondo has utilized could serve you at lower cost. It would require something like this to refine the visor.
PS if you were to experiment with the winglet atop the radius you'd be into countless hours with that as well.

Last edited by aerohead; 03-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: PS