View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
at wide open throttle, you have (basically) no pumping loss at the throttle plate. so warm air intakes won't do anything here. but unless 55mph makes you have to floor it to keep going 55, a warm intake will do something. that something depends on the vehicle.

Diesels don't have a throttle plate, so you don't have a pumping loss problem from the T-plate.
UGH, i was thinking about this today because I have a d15z1 (VX) engine in a 96 civic hatch and have problems holding 65mph in lean burn, so i'm having to give it more throttle to (i'm assuming make more power) to maintain that speed. So if I make a Warm air intake, that is going to give me even less power, and then I won't be able to maintain say 60mph?

I was thinking that it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to make a "Y" valve that cuts off the cold air intake or hot air intake for whatever situation you desire. like using a choke on an old car to get it up to temp, then closing the choke. i could get the warm up the engine faster benefits of the WAI and then if i was in a highway situation where I needed more power to maintain higher speeds, I would just close that and open up my CAI.