View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I read a lot of superstition too. Some old school bikers will argue to the end about how they think you are totally out of control of the bike and are about to crash if you ever coast with the clutch in. Silly! They insist that you MUST engine brake down through every gear every time you come up to a stop light. Rrr, Rrr, Rrr, Rrrrrr! Look at me! I'm so cool!
I use a narrow rpm range, which makes this process especially uncomfortable and disturbing for me. I was so happy to learn that coasting is a good thing back then...

Quote:
Your BMW may be so torquey that the term lugging may not even apply. You could probably just dump the clutch when you take off without even stalling.
No, she's not. At idle she's weaker than our 250, instead. If I try to just let her roll at idle rpms, she quickly stalls. Even in 1st. I can only do it when she's cold (I mean after a cold start, at winter) therefore the idle speed is temporarily elevated to (or close to) 2000. All that 'flat' torque curve seems to start very sharp somewhere down there.

Quote:
My CBR250R bucks violently if I try to give it any throttle below 2,500 and high revving bikes like the Ninja250 have no power whatsoever below 4,000. My Ninja doesn't buck as much being a twin but I know that it is in a poor efficiency range when trying to accelerate for a pulse at that rpm. This lack of productivity is also what I call lugging.
But what you say here gives some food for my thoughts. I shoud try P&G'ing in 4th, at the speeds I usually P&G in 5th and see what happens. When weather stabilizes a bit I'll probably try it. That wouldn't hurt as much as cruising at higher revs.