View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
2.Slow
EcoModding Lurker

2.slow - '02 VW Jetta GLS
90 day: 26.5 mpg (US)

3.FAST - '12 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 23.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Yes, just engine off. I've been engine-ON coasting with my automatic for a while, and it has the pump on the input shaft.

In any case, it takes practice, but if you can do it smoothly it shouldn't be a problem. I've been doing it everyday for a year or so with my notoriously unreliable O1M VW automatic and it has not developed any issues (yet).

Hi UFO,
I'm newly registered here to ecomodder (long time lurker) and happened to run across your recent post on the coasting in neutral with the VW 01M transmission and wanted to pick your brain on some tips. I have a 2002 VW jetta 2.0 with the 4 speed trans as well. I've had a heck of time just getting the mpg to increase from an average 20-21 to 26-28, which took replacing nearly all known mpg influencing parts and getting the scangauge, but I feel I'm still limited by this darn transmission.

Hence, it was good to see someone with the exact same transmission since I feel that is the major limiting factor on these cars. What sort of tips have you done to overcome this? i.e. what were your optimal speeds/gears. I've found 50-55 is the sweet spot. I've starting coasting in neutral with engine on as long as I'm coming to a stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!