View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hauki
EcoModding Lurker

Scudo - '98 Fiat Scudo (van) 1.9 TD
90 day: 40.94 mpg (US)
My new project; Fiat Scudo (1.9TD XUD9)

Ok, I was meant to be getting something more aero than this as I have to do like 3000 mile trip about once a month (Finland - UK - Finland). But it was a great deal and the 1.9 TD should be a great platform to build on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0259copy.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	10583

So, if anyone has any tips for the XUD9 or diesel engine tricks in general please share. I have read decat plus bigger airbox can help?

Few questions I have;

1) The main priority is the height, its sits way too high this thing. Lowering springs are quite expensive for it so I was thinking if I add an airdam at this height, it will be huge, will that help or hinder FE?

2) Wheels are 14", I can get Michelin energy savers at this size, but would it be better to take the wheel size up to 15" or even 16". Do I increase the rolling radius or keep it the same?

3) Trailers. If an aerodynamic trailer reduced drag, how much would it need to reduce it by to overcome the tyre rolling resistance and added weight.

This van will be on highway for 90% of the time, so weight is not so much of an issue if it is sat at 60mph/100kmh is it?

Last edited by Hauki; 03-27-2012 at 02:30 PM..