View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
I've done this in my AT Saab. It will take your transmission from potato salad to jello. On which ever speed you re-engage your transmission there will be a dull spot at that speed that may or may not go away eventually. That'll make your transmission less responsive and require more finessing and more accelerator to get up to speed. You won't shift as readily or as fast and it'll shift at a slightly higher speed and rev. (And i'm talking doing this 10 or less times in total)

Maybe some rare cars are designed to do this without wear, but i think the categorical recommendation should be do not do it!

Do:

Sell your car.
Buy a more fuel efficient model with a manual.
Stop wasting your time trying to coax more from a cast iron tub with wheels as is my case.
Do it sooner and you'll save more gas.
Hasn't happened yet; I've been coasting every day for over a year now. As far as "wasting your time trying to coax more from a cast iron tub with wheels", that runs contrary to the spirit of this site, where we do the best we can with what we have. It might be cheaper for you to switch cars, but I assure that is not the case for most drivers, especially for me as fuel is extremely cheap as it is made from free recycled vegetable oil. If I were to get 10mpg better economy with a manual transmission, at $1 per gallon of fuel, and a straight vehicle trade, it would still take more than 3 years to pay the extra registration fees and taxes associated with buying a different car.

Not to mention the person who ends up with my old car would not get the mileage I did.