View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Synchronicity
EcoModding Lurker

TGV - '11 Renault Traffic L2H1 2900 long wheelbase cargo van
It's a Renault traffic, cargo only, long wheelbase version.

I have just installed the home made vortex generators today. It took quite some time to cut them all out. The good news (for me) is that they aren't noticeable when standing beside the van... as it's so tall... hehehe

I'm not tracking mpg so I don't have any reference point. I know it sucks, especially because I have a strong background in science.
However, I just don't have the time to do a proper test after each mod. I drive for work nor is the traffic consistent here, so that's out. I know that I should be able to get more than 1000km to a tank. Previously I've been struggling to reach that mark, mainly because of my driving habits.

I think the most obvious best mod for me was the low-profile windscreen wipers. Not only do they work better, they are quieter. Next noise reduction came from the additional door sills and one I put at the top of the windscreen. I can be going 55mph and not hear much wind noise (if at all).

I did buy a curved seat today for 10 bucks (just the top) which has two uses: I ripped out the insides, and it's a nicely curved wooden aquare plank. Two of these will make a nice rear belly pan. Alternatively, one will make 4 tyre spats. Just need to paint them black so they aren't so conspicuous.
I'm also recycle the fake black leather to reupholster (spelling) a few old saddles that I have lying around.

I can let you all know how some of the mods performed either today or tomorrow on my usual highway run.