View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Rebuilt a totalled 1977 Accord for Pop in 1978. He was living in the Florida Keys and working as a volunteer for the American cancer Society. He averaged 39 MPG in the Accord, and I think he was paid 38 cents a mile for providing his own transportation.
He drove that car 45k miles before he traded it in on a Toyota.

The Accord weighed 2050 pounds and had a 1.5 liter engine. That car saved both of my parents lives in 1979 when a drunk in a Cadillac came over into their lane at 50 MPH. Mom just whipped that car left and went past the Cadillac. At almost exactly the same spot on the same road 7 years later I had a drunk come into may lane at night in a powerful thunderstorm. I had to swerve across the oncoming lane of traffic and into a parking lot to avoid the collision in my 1973 Alfa Romeo.

In both of those potentially deadly accidents their lives and mine were saved by a smaller more maneuverable car instead of a boat that would not have been able to do the evasive maneuver.

My parents have been married 65 years this April. Pop will turn 91 May 8th and Mom will be 87 August 3rd. The both drive Cadillac Eldorado's and get close to 30 MPG highway when they go to Ocean City to play some slot machines.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 03-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: pay or play it's about the same