View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hauki
EcoModding Lurker

Scudo - '98 Fiat Scudo (van) 1.9 TD
90 day: 40.94 mpg (US)
Ok I was doing research today, and it is definitly not OBDII, even the early HDi's were not OBDII and only about 2003 I think they became that format. So I will have to measure fuel consumption the old fashnioned way.

Here is something useful for Scudo/Expert/Jumpy/Dispatch owners. There is no official fuel figures anywhere for them as they are a van but I got the official figures from Fiat;

Click image for larger version

Name:	scudo-lp100.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	10586

So Scudo 1.9 TD @ 90 kmh;

6.1 l/100
46 MPG IMP
38.5 MPG US

So I am quite happy with that, it makes my goal of 5 l/100 (56MPG UK - 47MPG US) achievable. Maybe even a little further.

So far I have increased tyre pressure to 3 bar and that has already helped coasts alot. Next will be airdam, I was running some tests in flow illustrator and it wasn't pretty;

Unmodified:

Name:	fi1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	10587

With dam and skirts;

Name:	fi2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	10588

I know the drag being caused from the air traveeling underneath the van is messy because I wash the van, drive 5 minutes down my dirt road and the back doors are thick in dirt ;(.

As for winter, it has not affected me too much but that has been in Volvo S40 and 240 petrol, I can grille block the front entirely and using the block heater really helped save fuel. But this is the first diesel I have had so I don't know how Finnish winters affect diesels.. although I am so south I am practically in the Baltic sea so it does not get so bad here as the mainland. As soon as I can afford it I will be getting a set of lowering springs I have seen for £150 which lowers front 40mm and rear 30mm. I will never have more than 300kg (max payload is 750kg) in the van so I think this is safe to do.

So mine is running slightly cooler which means the thermostat needs replacing, but I quite like that fact, it means I can grille block a bit more. So I will leave the thermostat as it is for now. Besides those Motonet thermostats in my experience only last 2 weeks anyway so I would need one from the stealers aswell.